Coaching Philosophy

As a cycling coach my objective is to work with the individual athlete to determine realistic goals and to apply the optimum training in order to realize those goals.

I believe athletes are competitive, either with themselves, others, or both. A manifestation of that competitiveness is the desire to improve. As a coach I will provide training and competition knowledge that would otherwise require years of experience and study to acquire.

I will provide an individualized, adaptable, measured, assessed and reassessed training experience. An experience that fits within the stress and time constraints that each of us has. I will help the athlete get the highest quality training given the quantity of time they have.

Together, coach and athlete, we will define and reach the individual athlete's goals.

Sincerely,
Casey Lamers
USA Cycling Coach

Saturday, October 25, 2008

My Style

Much of the rest of my life as an engineer and husband and father helps define who I am as a coach.

I am scientific, detailed and analytical in my approach. Each athlete is an individual training experiment. By measuring the athletes ability and desires I start to formulate the best course of action. Consistent observation and assessment of how the individual is responding to the training then revising and adapting the training regime accordingly is my primary focus. I prescribe training based on duration and intensity as measured by perceived exertion, heart rate and power metrics depending on the athlete. I also integrate appropriate recovery, as adaptation to training stress only occurs during recovery. I aim to provide the application of optimum stress coupled with optimum recovery to yield optimum improvement on a highly individualized basis.

I believe that educating the athlete is a primary duty of a coach. I want the athlete to understand the training. I enjoy explaining the logic behind the training. I want to provide insight regarding the science behind the training.

As a family man and professional I realize that cycling and sport must fit within the whole picture of the athlete's life. As a coach I aim to structure the athlete's training in order to fit within that whole picture. Balance is key. I aim to provide the highest quality of training given the quantity of time the athlete has available.

No comments: